‘Now, at this sad and breathless moment, we are plunged in the hunger and distress which are the aftermath of our stupendous struggle’: Though no longer Prime Minister, Churchill’s speech at Fulton on 5 March 1946 packed a formidable punch. …
Working with FCDO and predecessor departments FCO and ODA since 1985. Currently working with FCDO Historians.
Related content and links
History of government
This blog gives insights into the history of government – its development, its departments and some of the roles and people involved. Find out more.
- What’s the Context? Winston Churchill’s ‘Sinews of Peace’ speech, Fulton, 5 March 1946 5 March 2021
- What’s the context? Foundation of the German Empire, 18 January 1871 20 January 2021
- What’s the Context? Signing the Anglo-American Financial Agreement, 6 December 1945 7 December 2020
- Preparing for Helsinki: the CSCE Multilateral Preparatory Talks 27 August 2020
- What’s the context? VJ Day, 15 August 1945 14 August 2020