Learn how the General Register Office, responsible for the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths in England and Wales, coped with the extra demands which resulted from the First World War.
Related content and links
History of government
This blog gives insights into the history of government – its development, its departments and some of the roles and people involved. Find out more.
- The Queen and her Prime Ministers 1 June 2022
- What’s the Context? The decision to build a British atomic bomb, 8 January 1947 7 January 2022
- What’s the Context? Occupying Powers sign Quadripartite Agreement on Berlin, 3 September 1971 3 September 2021
- What's the Context? Signature of the Atlantic Charter, 14 August 1941 28 July 2021
- When the Wall went up: Britain and the Berlin Crisis, 1961 28 July 2021