Charlotte Taylor, a 14-year old teenager, writes about her experiences whilst taking part in the First World War Centenary Battlefield Tours Programme. On 16th – 19th March 2014 a group of 30 students and 15 teachers from secondary schools across …
Charlotte Taylor is a 14-year old teenager who lives in Warwickshire. In March 2014, she joined one of her classmates and her history teacher on the World War I Battlefields Tour and discovered that her great-great uncle, Granville Rourke, was buried in the Ypres Town Cemetery extension. Charlotte also later found out that her great-great grandfather, James Henry Wentworth Taylor Rourke, died in action on the first day of the battle of the Somme and is buried at Beaumont Hamel. Charlotte would like to be a journalist and enjoys writing. Her other interests include performing arts and wildlife conservation.
Related content and links
History of government
This blog gives insights into the history of government – its development, its departments and some of the roles and people involved. Find out more.
- The founding of the NHS: 75 years on 13 July 2023
- Visiting the secret state: Margaret Thatcher and Intelligence 21 December 2022
- What the Butler saw: Britain and the Abadan Crisis, 1950-51 7 December 2022
- Curzon's comeuppance 25 November 2022
- The Art of Delivery: The Prime Minister’s Delivery Unit 2001-2005 26 August 2022