In Anthony Trollope’s 1876 novel The Prime Minister, the Prime Minister of the title is Plantagenet Palliser, the Duke of Omnium. It may today appear very strange that a member of the House of Lords could head the British government. …
Kathryn Rix is Assistant Editor of the House of Commons 1832-1945 project at the History of Parliament Trust. She has published several articles on electioneering and party organisation in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and is currently preparing a book on Parties, agents and electoral culture in England, 1880-1910.
Related content and links
History of government
This blog gives insights into the history of government – its development, its departments and some of the roles and people involved. Find out more.
- What’s the context? Foundation of the German Empire, 18 January 1871 20 January 2021
- What’s the Context? Signing the Anglo-American Financial Agreement, 6 December 1945 7 December 2020
- Preparing for Helsinki: the CSCE Multilateral Preparatory Talks 27 August 2020
- What’s the context? VJ Day, 15 August 1945 14 August 2020
- What’s the context? Opening of the Potsdam Conference, 17 July 1945 17 July 2020