In Anthony Trollope’s 1876 novel The Prime Minister, the Prime Minister of the title is Plantagenet Palliser, the Duke of Omnium. It may today appear very strange that a member of the House of Lords could head the British government. …
Kathryn Rix is Assistant Editor of the House of Commons 1832-1945 project at the History of Parliament Trust. She has published several articles on electioneering and party organisation in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and is currently preparing a book on Parties, agents and electoral culture in England, 1880-1910.
Related content and links
History of government
This blog gives insights into the history of government – its development, its departments and some of the roles and people involved. Find out more.
- The founding of the NHS: 75 years on 13 July 2023
- Visiting the secret state: Margaret Thatcher and Intelligence 21 December 2022
- What the Butler saw: Britain and the Abadan Crisis, 1950-51 7 December 2022
- Curzon's comeuppance 25 November 2022
- The Art of Delivery: The Prime Minister’s Delivery Unit 2001-2005 26 August 2022