An incredible feat of engineering, Aspidistra was, in 1942, the most powerful radio transmitter in the world. This allowed the British to unleash a new kind of propaganda on Germany, and give Goebbels ‘something to worry about’.
Katherine Newton is a Corporate Communications Officer for FCO Services. Amongst other things, she is currently focused on promoting FCO Services' rich heritage.
Related content and links
History of government
This blog gives insights into the history of government – its development, its departments and some of the roles and people involved. Find out more.
- What’s the Context? Winston Churchill’s ‘Sinews of Peace’ speech, Fulton, 5 March 1946 5 March 2021
- What’s the context? Foundation of the German Empire, 18 January 1871 20 January 2021
- What’s the Context? Signing the Anglo-American Financial Agreement, 6 December 1945 7 December 2020
- Preparing for Helsinki: the CSCE Multilateral Preparatory Talks 27 August 2020
- What’s the context? VJ Day, 15 August 1945 14 August 2020