An incredible feat of engineering, Aspidistra was, in 1942, the most powerful radio transmitter in the world. This allowed the British to unleash a new kind of propaganda on Germany, and give Goebbels ‘something to worry about’.
Katherine Newton is a Corporate Communications Officer for FCO Services. Amongst other things, she is currently focused on promoting FCO Services' rich heritage.
Related content and links
History of government
This blog gives insights into the history of government – its development, its departments and some of the roles and people involved. Find out more.
- The Queen and her Prime Ministers 1 June 2022
- What’s the Context? The decision to build a British atomic bomb, 8 January 1947 7 January 2022
- What’s the Context? Occupying Powers sign Quadripartite Agreement on Berlin, 3 September 1971 3 September 2021
- What's the Context? Signature of the Atlantic Charter, 14 August 1941 28 July 2021
- When the Wall went up: Britain and the Berlin Crisis, 1961 28 July 2021