An incredible feat of engineering, Aspidistra was, in 1942, the most powerful radio transmitter in the world. This allowed the British to unleash a new kind of propaganda on Germany, and give Goebbels ‘something to worry about’.
Katherine Newton is a Corporate Communications Officer for FCO Services. Amongst other things, she is currently focused on promoting FCO Services' rich heritage.
Related content and links
History of government
This blog gives insights into the history of government – its development, its departments and some of the roles and people involved. Find out more.
- The founding of the NHS: 75 years on 13 July 2023
- Visiting the secret state: Margaret Thatcher and Intelligence 21 December 2022
- What the Butler saw: Britain and the Abadan Crisis, 1950-51 7 December 2022
- Curzon's comeuppance 25 November 2022
- The Art of Delivery: The Prime Minister’s Delivery Unit 2001-2005 26 August 2022