In this series of interviews, cabinet secretaries past and present speak about life at the centre, where the political leadership of the Cabinet and Prime Minister is translated into policy. The position of Cabinet Secretary is just under 100 years …
Downing Street staff
A behind-the-scenes look at the '12 from Number 10' art project.
Lord Butler was Cabinet Secretary between 1988 and 1998, working with two Conservative Prime Ministers - Margaret Thatcher and John Major - and, after Labour's 1997 landslide victory, Tony Blair. In this interview with historian Anthony Seldon, he talks about the bombing …
Lord Armstrong was Cabinet Secretary between 1979 and 1987, working throughout Margaret Thatcher’s premiership. In this interview with historian Lord Hennessy, he talks about his service under Margaret Thatcher. Lord Armstrong biography The Rt Hon Lord Armstrong of Ilminster, GCB, CVO …
The Government Art Collection (GAC) invited non-political staff working in Number 10 to select artworks from the Collection, which have been on display at Number 10, for public exhibition in London, Birmingham and Belfast. You can see a slideshow with a selection of …
Related content and links
History of government
This blog gives insights into the history of government – its development, its departments and some of the roles and people involved. Find out more.
- Preparing for Helsinki: the CSCE Multilateral Preparatory Talks 27 August 2020
- What’s the context? VJ Day, 15 August 1945 14 August 2020
- What’s the context? Opening of the Potsdam Conference, 17 July 1945 17 July 2020
- What’s the context? 25 June 1950: outbreak of the Korean War 25 June 2020
- What’s the context? 8 May 1945: VE Day, the end of the war in Europe 7 May 2020